|Residence||Tom Buchanan's mansion, East Egg, New York, United States|
Daisy Buchanan (wife)
Pammy Buchanan (daughter)
Nick Carraway (second cousin-in-law)
He has no moral qualms about his own extramarital affair with Myrtle Wilson, but when he begins to suspect Daisy and Gatsby of having an affair, he becomes outraged and forces a confrontation. Buchanan lives in the "old money" neighborhood of East Egg in New York.
Sturdy, straw-haired man of thirty with a rather hard mouth and a supercilious manner. Two shining, arrogant eyes had established dominance over his face, and gave him the appearance of always leaning aggressively forward … you could see a great pack of muscle shifting when his shoulder moved under his thin coat. It was a body capable of enormous leverage—a cruel body
Tom Buchanan comes from a staggeringly wealthy family with long standing social prestige. Born in Chicago, Tom moved East during his collage years where he attended Yale and met Nick Carraway at the University's social club. At Yale, Buchanan was a football star; as Nick accounts, Tom was "one of those men who reach such an acute limited excellence at twenty-one that everything afterwards savours of anti-climax".
Now thirty, Tom has become enormously wealthy, yet remains physically powerful with his "cruel body" and "arrogant eyes". Tom has been known to carry on affairs beginning on his own honeymoon with Daisy after he got involved with a chamber maid at their hotel. During the Summer-long friendship with Nick, Tom was regularly seeing Myrtle Wilson.
- The Great Gatsby (1926) Played by Hale Hamilton
- The Great Gatsby (1949) Played by Barry Sullivan
- The Great Gatsby (1974) Played by Bruce Dern
- The Great Gatsby (2000) Played by Martin Donovan
- The Great Gatsby (2013) Played by Joel Edgerton
- Buchanan is widely known as being a white supreamacist and is slightly obsessed with the fear of inferior races knoking Nordic races of their pedestal.